On Saturday I was blessed to be a part of a most beautiful day. The wedding of one of my best friends, one 7 years in the making. High school sweethearts, David and Morgan were wed in the presence of friends and family on a gorgeous fall day on Lake Lanier. Beyond blessed, I stood to her left as a bridesmaid but was unprepared for the emotions that would flow over me within a matter of minutes. Watching Morgan walk down the steps, down the aisle, to her husband-to-be was incredible. But somehow I just couldn't get my eyes off of David. His huge smile with choked back tears, his nervousness and excitement, his reaction to seeing his bride take each step closer to a lifetime with him was breathtaking. As the pastor began with a short sermon, readings, and vows, my eyes were glued to David. I couldn't see Morgan's expressions or reactions since her back was to us, so instead I saw the entire wedding through David's eyes. I saw him wipe away tears of joy. I saw his humble smile. I saw his comforting hold on Morgan. I saw him light up as Morgan repeated the vows to him. I stood there amazed. This man loves her more than I can imagine. This man has waited for this day for seven years! This man was unashamed of his love for her and couldn't fight back the flood of emotions inside his heart. Nothing else in the world mattered. He was holding his bride and she was his. His bride loved him back with her whole heart and they were united to begin a lifetime together. This was an awe-inspiring moment that I can't even begin to describe.
I've seen my fair share of weddings as a TV wedding addict but never have I felt MY heart swell up like this one. Usually I sit on my couch just daydreaming of that special day but this moment was different than all others. Instead of reaching for this dream or even just experiencing joy with David and Morgan, my heart rejoiced. I have my own David. I have this man who loves me with his whole heart and is unashamed. I have this man who looks at me with sincerity, love, devotion, passion, kindness, and humility every second of the day. When I looked at David's eyes staring deeply into Morgan's, it all hit me. Jesus whispered to my heart, "YOU are MINE." Just as Morgan said an enthusiastic "yes!" after David's proposal over a year ago, I said YES when I realized the depths of Christ's love for me. But this love is one that will never be topped. David's inspiring passion for Morgan is just a glimpse of what Christ feels for ME and for YOU. Jesus sacrificed Himself for me, taking away all barriers, all hindrances, all darkness, in hopes that I would should out "YES" at His proposal. When I did, I entered into what has become the most beautiful relationship. Except that this one is never lacking. Sure I fall short, I yell at Him when I feel like things are unfair. But His love remains constant. He doesn't get frustrated back. He doesn't raise His voice. He doesn't give me the cold shoulder. He doesn't ever love me less than He did on that day that He gave everything for me. My groom is mine. And I am His. His gaze is forever on my heart. And as His bride, my heart's only response is to love. When my eyes meet His, and I see just how crazy He is for me, and how could it be anything else?! This man pursued me, this perfect man, God, and He fought for my heart. Now I get to spend a lifetime of loving Him and being loved perfectly in return. This tops even the greatest chick-flick.
On the day that Morgan walked up to her groom, I was graced with the ability to look deeper than ever into the eyes of mine, Christ.
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor Him for He is your Lord.
Psalm 45:11
No comments:
Post a Comment