It’s been a month and a half since we heard those
devastating words, “there is no heartbeat” in the ultrasound room. It’s been a
month and a half without our sweet baby, Matthew Dalitso.
That day seems like an eternity ago, yet I can remember
every detail like it was yesterday. Though time stopped for us on August 8th,
life kept moving on. We had friends stay with us, family came, we went on a
family trip to Paris, I spoke at my alma mater, and life has continued to
progress.
I still think of Matthew Dalitso every day. I don’t know if
a day will come and go that I don’t think of him, and I’m okay with that. While
I struggle to find the balance between grieving fully and taking the next steps
of life, I do know one thing for sure: I don’t want another day to go by
without people knowing Matthew’s story, which is really God’s story.
Very early on in the pregnancy, while I was so full of
excitement and anticipation, I received a call from my doctor’s office. Some
lab results came back unusual, and she wanted me to come in. The word
“miscarriage” was used, and I was crushed. How could this be happening AGAIN?
The wait to go to that appointment was excruciating. We told a couple of people
who knew we were pregnant so that they could be praying for this, praying for our
baby who seemed to be in trouble.
So many tears were shed, and I vividly remember getting
ready that day. I looked down at my belly and prepared myself to say goodbye to
our little miracle baby. I admit that I gave up a bit. I gave up on hope in the
face of such unfavorable news. One of my best friends texted me that morning
reminding me of God’s sovereignty, of His goodness, of His plan higher than
mine. And most of all, of His love for our family and me. A little flicker of
hope was re-ignited in my soul.
I walked into the office, face swollen from tears, head hung
low, nerves shooting through my body. Wyatt held my hand as together we walked
into the unknown. “Amy?” the nurse called. She ushered me into the ultrasound
room quickly and quietly.
I looked at the ultrasound screen on my right. I didn’t know
what I was going to see, but I reasoned that it wouldn’t be good. I peeked over
at the ultrasound tech chart, and it read, “Amy, miscarriage” for reason of
ultrasound.
I forced my eyes over to the screen. A little blob was
visible. “What am I looking at?” I asked. The tech remained silent as she
continued scanning. A little white light appeared, flashing rapidly.
“This is your baby,” she said. “And here is the heartbeat.”
The most beautiful sound filled the room, the boom-boom, boom-boom of the
little baby inside of me. The strongest heart pumping away. The life fully
alive and well.
Time seemed to stand still as those sounds echoed through
the room. I let the joy, the relief wash over me. I could’ve stood in that
moment forever.
“Everything looks perfect.” What? No miscarriage? No issues?
No emergencies?
My doctor soon confirmed the results. The baby was 100%
healthy. “Perfect” was used yet again. And she said that she had no explanation for how our baby was so
strong and healthy given the test results.
A miracle. Truly a miracle. We spoke those words. We cried.
We praised Jesus! Our miracle baby defeated the odds, baffled the doctors, and
showed us the power of God.
When we got home, I was struck by a sign hanging in our
bedroom over our bed. It read, “It is well with my soul.”
Yes, Jesus. It is so well. I simply couldn’t believe that
Jesus would be so good to us as to spare our child from the horrible diagnosis.
That He would give us life. And the gift of seeing and hearing our baby doing
so well.
A few weeks later we returned for a routine check up. We’d get
to take home more cute photos of our baby, see him, and meet some other
doctors. Wyatt and I were chatting casually about how the day was going when we
strolled into the ultrasound room. And it only took 2 minutes of absolute
silence from the ultrasound tech for us to realize something was very, very
wrong.
Our baby had passed away. He was born into heaven days
before the appointment. The level of heartbreak and shock was far beyond I can
ever explain in words.
We returned home and I walked upstairs to tuck myself into
bed. Again I saw the sign, “It is well with my soul.”
Jesus, it isn’t well. My heart hurts. My baby is gone. This
wasn’t supposed to happen. Our baby was doing so great. He was our miracle.
And then it hit me. My deepest desire in that moment wasn’t
for our baby to come back, but it was for my soul’s cry to truly be “it is
well,” resting in Jesus, in my identity as His beloved, having everything I’ll
ever need even in my loss.
I can’t say I’m always there. But I can say that God has
been so gracious. That He is just as good now as He was on the day of our
miracle ultrasound. That He loves me just as much. I may not always feel it,
but I know it. And I will keep that song on repeat in my heart when all else
threatens to muffle it out.
Baby or no baby, I know that it is well with my soul. I know
that my God is the keeper of my heart and my life, and I am not overlooked by
Him. I know that our babies are safe in heaven. I know that no matter what else
comes our way that He is for me, He is with me, and He is crazy about me. That
Jesus took on my sin, my fear, my shortcomings, my heartache, and the death and
darkness of this world to make me His and unite me with my Father. If He did
all of that for ME, won’t He continue His grace towards me? Isn’t that act enough?
It is well with my soul. Not because I’ve “gotten over” the
loss of my baby. It is well with my soul in the depths of my grief and pain.
Because Jesus is my greatest prize, my greatest reward, my greatest gift.
Below are photos from when I was pregnant with Matthew that I wanted to share to remember him by:
Below are photos from when I was pregnant with Matthew that I wanted to share to remember him by:
This was before I even knew I was pregnant, but a friend texted me saying she just knew I was from seeing this photo posted.
This one and these next few are from the days and weeks after I found out...
And this last photo was going to be our pregnancy announcement that I was going to share after that last appointment. I still want people to know about and celebrate the gift of Matthew's life in our lives.
God is so good, and so gracious towards us.

No comments:
Post a Comment