
This weekend was amazing, definitely one for the books. One of my best friends, Morgan, is getting married in two short weeks and we were able to celebrate that with her this weekend at her fiancé's lake house. The bachelorette weekend, complete with too many laughs and sunburned noses, brought so much joy to my heart. The other bridesmaids are incredible women, and we formed unforgettable bonds over tubing, chips & queso, afternoon football, and silly games. With every smile, every laugh my heart warmed and grew. Driving along the highway for a last minute grocery trip before dinner, I had to just pause, thinking this is incredible. This sunset is incredible. Incredible, unbelievable, un-able to be believed. I couldn't believe that just as quickly as we all became so close we'd be saying goodbye after the wedding and it'd all be over. I couldn't believe that this could be one of my last bachelorette parties for a while, if ever. I couldn't believe that I was letting my mind race to the future rather than being in awe of the present. I love Africa. I love Zambia. I love Elina & the kids. I love Ng'ombe. I love nshima (for now). But I can't help but tighten up a bit and crawl into my little hole when I think about a few months from now in contrast to the present. These beautiful women will be thousands of miles away, laughter will only be heard via Skype (praise Jesus for it though!), chips & queso can only be the result of a new visitor or leftovers smuggled in from the move, and a sunburned nose will be all too common. As I celebrate the wonderful marriage of two great friends, seven years in the making, so beautifully reflecting the Gospel of Christ, I will ask God to help me to celebrate today. Cherish what He's given me today. Be grateful for today's blessings. Love God for who He is today. Love life for what it is today. For today is all we're promised.
I don't always understand where these feelings come from, or if they're any good at all. I can't wrap my mind around why I'm facing this dissonance between joy of home in Africa and the feeling that I'll be missing out on so much- bachelorette parties, first jobs, weddings, babies, new friends, the never-ending list of a life in transition. But I think that's okay. I'm human. Praise God that He's not.
Isaiah 40:28 Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.
No comments:
Post a Comment