Today is Monday. In every sense of the word.
From 8-14Hours, I was out at various government offices
getting yet another batch of paperwork done with Elina. What was accomplished
and checked off of the to-do list? Nada. And I feel like I met every mean
person who lives in Zambia today. Elina said that it’s because it’s Monday. I
think she’s right. Jesus, teach me grace.
First on the list this morning dealt with our nonprofit
registration number. Turns out they use the same numbering system for
charities, businesses, and private companies, all starting from #1 yet separate
in categories. The reason I even bother to explain this oddity is this: we went
to file some tax paperwork and pay fees on our building Friday only to find out
that the downtown office thinks we’re Chrismar Hotel. This could be fun and
all, except that they refused to continue with paperwork until we sorted this
out. So that’s how we found out about this unique
numbering system this morning.
The sad reality of the situation hits even deeper than the
frustration of inefficiency systems. Our number, generated for us in the
charity sector in August, turned up to be the same number that a business
(hotel) received decades ago. Charities are just now approaching the number of
businesses from decades ago. Who do you hear of that wants to work for a
charity in Zambia (besides me, obviously)? Jesus, send your laborers with
endurance and love.
For some reason, it seems near impossible to get things
functioning here. From bank accounts to personal visa issues, it seems like
sometimes everything is done to make sure we don’t accomplish anything. A shocking reality in a nation in need.
After we decided on the last errand, certain that it would
be a success so that we could end on a high note, we went in only to be
rejected again. Frustration. Confusion. Why does it have to be so difficult?! I
suppose Jesus doesn’t always send us to the easy places. I don’t know if I have
any major takeaway from today or any beautiful silver lining. It’s just one of
the days I’m wrestling with the reality of life and the vast injustices there
are here and around the world.
It’s not fair that I have to watch a street boy struggle to
carry his collection of plastic containers weaving through busy traffic in
route to his destination, where he’ll likely sell them for a few cents or where
he’ll owe them to some sort of street master.
It’s not fair that every step we try to take as a charity
gets a wall thrown in front of it. That our honesty and passion are overlooked
for more money and more papers.
It’s not fair that over lunch I find out that all of the
orphans Elina is housing are without money to pay for school fees. Some even
face having to drop out before completing a pivotal testing year of grade 7
because the money isn’t there.
It’s not fair that our women have to face the difficulties
of life on behalf of their children, fearing for their future and feeling like
what they do won’t be enough sometimes.
It’s not fair that my friends come to me with stories of a
sweet 4 year old girl being dumped in a landfill by her own mother, enduring
the pain from larvae who have burrowed in her skin.
It’s not fair that Mercedes Benz SUVs and $50,000 NGO cars
drive through slum compounds without the blink of an eye.
It’s not fair that this isn’t fixable. That no matter what I
or anyone else does, it’ll never amount to even be a drop in the bucket.
Today, things are heavy. Things are frustrating. Things are
hard. My heart shatters for this place, so overlooked and so difficult. Jesus,
come soon. Jesus, give us strength. Jesus, let your love shine through the
darkness.
I'm so sorry this is all going on. Yikes! It most certainly is not "fair" but "the world" isn't going to help Jesus build His Kingdom. One of my favorite ministries has a saying when "the world" hands them a setback - "every knock is a boost". None of this was a surprise to Jesus. There is a reason He's allowed it. Keep looking for the silver lining (the boost). It is there. Praying for your endurance in this trial, and for it to have its perfect work in your walk of faith.
ReplyDelete