Monday, September 10, 2012

thirty-one

Fridays are paydays for the CiH women. They receive the profits for the bracelets they hand in after passing through community quality inspection. These days are days full of joy, with laughing, singing, cheering and too many smiles to count. I don't think they're just excited about some paper bills with lions and birds and Zambia photos on them. I think they're joyful in the changes they see in their own lives through Jesus giving them this opportunity to enjoy a new quality of life. I think this because I laugh, I sing, I cheer, I smile, too, and I don't get a cent on Fridays. I receive more joy in those days than I have in so many others, because I think this is exactly what God wants for His daughters: community, joy, work, growth, provision, an understanding of His faithfulness and love.

Before I keep going, let me just frame the Friday experience with one moment that I'll never forget. Emeli is the one woman who has never spoken a word of English in our entire group. No "hi." No "fine" as the go-to reply for "how are you?" We still communicate though, through hand motions, demonstrations, and mostly through laughter. It's a friendship that I treasure. She's a beautiful woman. All along I've been learning, wanting to get to know their culture more. They're gracious to teach me patiently about gender roles, language, food, traditions, etc, but it always seemed to be pretty one-way. Like I had to dive into Zambian culture to really meet them, which is how I assumed it should be. So anyways, Emeli received her profit on Friday and I said "zikomo" (thank-you) for her quality work and time dedication. And just for being her, but she prob didn't pick up on that part. It was one of the first times I used Nyanja (the language) around her because I really wanted to enter into her world, because God's been so gracious to let me see this way of living in this nation, a fascinating one. Instead of the anticipated nod and smile, Emeli, sweet Emeli, said to me, "thank you." What a tender and special moment for both of us. What a beautiful thing to enjoy each other in this world, no matter the differences, the boundaries that seem like walls. There is always more to learn about each other. There is always beauty to be seen in each other's lives. And I think we just saw a glimpse of that on Friday afternoon.

That moment with Emeli was so special. I didn't even think it had that much of an impact on me until I just couldn't shake it all weekend. Why? Because I love those women. I love their beauty. I love their joy. I love their love for Jesus. I love what He shows me through them.

And lately it's been the beauty of the Proverbs 31 woman. Not for gender expectations, or keeping the woman in the house like it's been perceived and taught sometimes, but quite the opposite. Looking into God's heart for women and true beauty in these verses, I see that the CiH women are a direct portrayal of how He's designed women, and the encouragement they are to so many when they just trust in their identity made by Him. Here are the verses I just can't ignore as a mirror reflection from each one of those women:

v. 13 She seeks will and flax and works with willing hands.
v. 14 She is like the ships of a merchant; she brings food from afar.
v. 15 She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household.
v. 17 She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.
v. 18 She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night.
v. 19 She puts her hands on the distaff, and her hands hold the spindle.
v. 20 She opens her hands to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy. (yes, even this one)
v. 24 She makes linen garments and sells them; she delivers sashes to the merchant.
v. 25 Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come.
v. 26 She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
v. 27 She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat up the bread of idleness.
v. 29 "Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all."
v. 30 Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
v. 31 Give her the fruit of her hands and let her works praise her in the gates.

There are references in this description of a Proverbs 31 woman that refers to a husband. But somehow, I think Jesus is still glorified in the widow, the single mother, who works to praise the Lord, who doesn't accept what culture tells her about her life and instead clings to His promises.

What a blessing to be witnessing these women as reflections of their intended identity in Christ, to be learning from them even if they don't think they're teaching me. Beyond me, what a blessing for them to be pillars in Ng'ombe, shining His light through work, beauty, trust, desperation, confidence, selflessness and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment