Monday, October 31, 2011

undeserving



Driving back from visiting a friend at UF yesterday, my mind had it's fair share of wandering throughout the 6 hour journey alone, with a broken iPod and an exhausted bunch of CD's. As I looked around I flashed back to 4 short months ago living in Ghana and visiting Zambia for a short while too. The differences are incredible. I've become numb to many of them (although passengers probably won't say the same from my overly-defensive driving at times due to the one-too-many accidents I was in this summer). Here's just a snapshot of differences that I can't quite get over yet:

1. Rather than dodging goats, people, cows, children, etc. my peripheral only has to focus on a stray deer or turkey on the side of the highway.
2. The personal space during travel is insane. I get a whole car to myself?! Far too different from sitting on stranger's laps in order for the minibus drivers to make a few extra cents.
3. I don't have to go into panic-mode at police checkpoints, fearing their corruption. This is huge.
4. Though personal space is a plus, it's impossible for me to travel on a 6 hour trip on just $10. But that's the price I pay for not having to change busses/cars over 5 times.
5. I get to pull of the highway, drive through and get a hot meal in a matter of minutes, free of worry about the condition of the food. I'm learning how to trust food again, after learning that the kebobs sold on the side of the road aren't beef or pork but are actually dog or some version of road kill. That'll make you lose your appetite.

These are all blessings. Things we overlook or take advantage of. Things I take for granted so many times. But what makes me different from an African besides where I was born and what family I was born into? Nothing. I'm completely undeserving of any blessing. I'm sinful and I'm broken. But still God chooses to lavish me with grace through no other means than Christ. Let's open our eyes to grace today. Let's cultivate thankful hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment