Sad to say, I'm writing this on the last day of the Zambia trip. We fly out tonight at 2am (strange I know) and it's all pretty bittersweet. Over the past few days I've been blessed to meet and reunite with some incredible people. Most inspiring of them all: Elina. Elina is the woman who I met last summer who greatly influenced the decision to begin Clothed in Hope. Every day here I've been at her house in the morning, going to schools for games and giveaways, and meeting with some of the women who will be the first to go through Clothed in Hope's sewing program. Elina so graciously coordinated all of these things, opened her house to us and really just treated us as her own family. It was great seeing the kids again and learning so much from their strength and complete reliance on the Lord. Elina's oldest, Frank, just finished his first term at a university. Coming from his background in the Ng'ombe compound, he had a rough year. Which is an understatement. Frank told my parents all about the isolation he felt without "bills in the pockets." Frank is the ONLY person in the entire Ng'ombe compound to attend the university. Out of 80,000 or so. The only. And we all couldn't be prouder of his achievements, his perseverance, and his servant heart for his family.
Today I went to Elina's house to say goodbye and was greeted with a song and dance from her two daughters and one of the orphans who lives with her. The entire family grouped together for a photo and it was so hard to leave. After hugs and handshakes all around we left with a "see you soon" rather than a goodbye. Just a few hours later, Elina texted me wanting me to meet her best friend since childhood, Susan. There with her friend, Elina spoke of the hard times she's faced. I've heard the story in an email but she never spoke of it around me until now. She used few words but the look of pain, of struggle in her eyes said it all. Her husband died just 3 years ago from a case of malaria that took him from her in a matter of days. After his death she had to move all the children to Ng'ombe, away from Susan and her childhood neighborhood, due to her lack of income and her isolation as a widow. I can never and will never be able to understand what she's been through. But her begging of prayers for God's strength and to be abiding in Him daily help me see a glimpse into her life and her heart. Her selflessness and graciousness in her family are incredible. The way she radiates Christ to each child and raises them not in bitterness but in love is astounding. I've been so blessed to live just a few hours of life with her this week and am looking forward to years of friendship to come.
When we parted ways one final time Susan said "We are now all family. We are one." For a people who have suffered much and been hurt greatly, those aren't just words. They're a warm embrace, a welcome into a deep friendship. Susan and Elina both like to refer to the time I'm coming back in relation to months, not even saying that it's a year out. With a huge smile on her face and after sharing offers of cooking classes and help adjusting here, Susan once again shared a few words that spoke right to my heart: "When you come in June, you just tell others that you're going home. This is your home."
As bittersweet is it is to leave now, as it will be to leave all of my incredible friends at Carolina, my family and friends in NC, it's comforting to know that I'm doing lots of leaving, but just to come home to a family.
No comments:
Post a Comment