Monday, July 4, 2011

eleven

Here's a blog post I typed to post on July 1 (Friday) but the internet was down so I'm just getting around to putting it up:


These past few days here in Lusaka have been incredible. My expectations have been exceeded, prayers have been answered, and my heart has about burst at the seams with joy. I've met with Zambians in ministry, Zambians in Ng'ombe, and American missionaries who have all contributed different tidbits of insight and wisdom into Clothed in Hope and just daily life here in general. I've been blessed to even stop by a couple of schools to hand out shoes, underwear, socks, stickers, face wipes and bracelets all donated by family friends in NC. Each day has been packed with so many great meetings and opportunities to love and I've loved every second. Today (Friday) will probably go down as one of the favorites of all time though.

This morning we got up early to meet Elina, one of the widows in Ng'ombe, to visit the Quarry School. The school is in the poorest part of the already poverty-stricken slum. Children there are mostly single and double orphans with tattered clothes, no shoes or shoes hanging by a thread, runny noses and infected scrapes, and without a next meal to look forward to. Medical care isn't an option and the "school" is barely that. The children sit on wooden benches if they're lucky. The little ones just sit on a board on the ground. Their teacher, an incredibly caring and enthusiastic man, is responsible for teaching 50 little ones all below fifth grade and is doing a wonderful job. The school is just a structure of cinder blocks on the very edge of the compound. Though the children appear to have nothing they carry this incredible joy with them. While visiting, we were able to hand out pairs of shoes to the matches though it was difficult finding who fit the glass slipper at times. One sweet girl was busting out of her sandals with over a third of her foot hanging off the front of her sandal. She was chosen to try some of the shoes on but none fit. My heart ached as I had to hand her back the too-small shoes and send her back to the group without a gift in hand. (If TOMS reads this sometime, please visit Kasisi in Ng'ombe. They need you.) Each child either received shoes, underwear or socks and you would've thought it was Christmas morning in there. This one girl in particular, Flora, stole my heart. She was the tiniest one in the school and had these eyes that just pierce right through your heart. She looked up at me with the big eyes and something just clicked. Precious Flora didn't leave my side and was even first in line for nail painting. She appeared shy and reserved but clung to my side just craving that closeness. When we finished with the manicures we just sat around and played little games with the children. Flora took a spot on my lap and didn't crack a smile the entire time. Until the tickle game started. A huge group of girls laughed their heads off, some revealing beautifully bare-toothed smiles. I should've known I was in for it though because an attack soon followed and I was the one who couldn't catch my breath from laughing so hard. At my expense, Flora cracked a smile and that timidity melted away to reveal a beautiful heart, a heart just longing to be loved. If I could have smuggled her out of there trust me I would have. When it was time to go, little Flora just looked up at me with those huge eyes and held out her hand for me to shake it, though I couldn't resist but say goodbye with a hug and a photo too. I absolutely will be back soon. Please pray for these sweet children living in poverty like we can never imagine.

Soon after our school visit I was able to sit down and meet with the first group of women to be enrolled in the Clothed in Hope sewing training program. Elina coordinated our meeting and served as the translator when things didn't quite make sense as I explained them. She, her daughter Tresa, Jessy, Doreen and Vera all sat around Elina's living room and let me see just a glimpse into their lives. We talked about life for them in Ng'ombe as women, hardships there and ended just sharing a bit about ourselves. They were all hesitant but ended up being very receptive to the plans of Clothed in Hope. At the beginning I couldn't get any responses or any smiles back but at the end of our meeting the women were parting ways with hugs all around. The harshness on their faces exposed the hurt and pain they have lived through which I'll probably never understand. But the words that followed the hugs are what really touched my heart. I told the women I'd be back in a year and apologized for the time being so long. Doreen corrected me and said "Eleven months. It's only eleven months away!" with a hesitant yet radiant smile. These women need help. They admit it and are begging for help. They're dreaming of better lives with this skills training and can't wait for everything to begin. Elina even said that there's "no one to depend on." Jessy said that she's looking forward to the skills training because her life will be changed. She will be able to be someone else with the hope that it delivers. If that's not motivation to help, I'm not sure what is. These are real women with real hurt and real struggles. Not just shallow insecurities but life-dependent worries and fears.

I also was able to meet up with 2 girls I met while doing campus ministry at Copperbelt University in Kitwe, Zambia last summer. It was incredible to see them again! One of them, Faith, was a freshman when I met her. I told her I was coming so she traveled 5 hours to meet me for the weekend, is paying for accommodations for the weekend, and will travel 5 hours back. All with a dead cell phone and barely enough money to pay the fare on the way back. All to get ice cream with me for one hour at a shopping center she'd never been to before. That's pretty convicting. I don't know if I can honestly say I'd do the same for a friend traveling from far away but through her I see the selflessness of Christ. She's a beautiful friend with a beautiful heart and I'm so blessed by her friendship. Same with Mwansa who now lives in Lusaka and offered to be there for me when I move next year.

This all just happened today. My heart has been on a roller coaster from joy and love to hurting for these children and women in Ng'ombe. My head is about to explode from thinking through things though I feel like I haven't even begun to sort out from everything I've been seeing and experiencing. I'm looking forward to days ahead of processing everything though someone will have to drag me on that plane tomorrow night. It's been absolutely incredible here. But I rejoice in that I could be back in just eleven months.

No comments:

Post a Comment