Monday, May 23, 2011

today

Woah. I've been posting like crazy. We have a lot of downtime that I haven't really figured out how to use yet so once I do I don't think I'll be writing as much. So enjoy for now?

Today was my first day of work. The first work day since winter of my sophomore year of college in retail. This day didn't go quiiite like your typical internship day as it was full of the most random interruptions. To start the day off, we woke up at 7:30 for breakfast before "going to work" which for us consists of just walking into a different room with desks and boxes in it. After a bowl of oats and fresh fruit I realized that it seemed a bitttt too early. Oh right. It's 3:30am my time and I've been pretty much living off my time since I've been here. Probably should've gotten adjusted before work but oh well! So as if that wasn't enough kicker for starting, I wasn't sitting at my "desk" for more than 15 minutes when the guard comes in to tell us that the vegetable woman is here. A lady comes by twice a week with her huge basket of fresh veggies that she carries on her head so that she can sell them to us Americans/white people. First break of the day with just a few minutes into the day to buy food? Why not! We (the other intern & I) get back to work and cram out a few hours of number crunching and analysis of sales data for the retail and wholesale departments. At around 11, the guard comes back in to tell us that the food man is here. More food?! It may sound like I get a lot to eat, but don't be fooled. My dinner tonight was Groundnut Paste & Jam on biscuits. I still gotta learn the ropes around here. Anywayssss this man, known as "meals on wheels" to the rest of the staff comes by a few times a week. He pays a taxi driver to drive him all around selling prepared food: fried rice, spring rolls, Jollof rice, and another type of rice I couldn't understand. He just has boxes stacked up in the backseat of the car and sells it to you like a reverse drive-through. Like delivery, but you have to meet halfway by coming outside the gate to get the food. Anyways word on the street is that fried rice is the way to go but unfortunately he sells his last one before I order. So I ask for something not spicy. I was fooled real bad yesterday with the whole "not spicy" thing and wasn't going to fall for that again. I had our guard translate plainly that I didn't want spicy and he assured me that I was safe. I think Ghanaians have a skewed perception of spicy, but this is also coming from a girl who can't even handle Medium salsa. I take my box of food all wrapped up and head inside for my first lunch break but I open it up to see RED rice. Not a good delish kinda red. But an "oh no" kinda red. As if that wasn't bad enough, this glob of blackish reddish stuff was on top of my rice. The stuff that torched my mouth yesterday as I took a curious taste of it. Turns out it's just raw red and green chillies mashed up with dried fish and shrimp. Mmmmm. And it's hot as fire! I cried for a good 10 minutes after drinking a liter of water. It was nothing I've tasted before! Anyways, that was yesterday. Each day is a lesson learned so I learned from that lesson and just scraped it off my rice and did what I could with eating that box of deliciousness. Tori and I will have to figure out a better way to feed ourselves around here. So back to work we went on our first project of analyzing best and worst sellers, making suggestions for improvement and predicting trends. Time went by pretty quickly for a while there since Renae's son was down for a nap (after I played cars with him for a bit) and the interruptions ceased a bit. So then the parrot decided it needed to fill that void of noise and just squawked "hello" and "ok" for the next 5 hours. The view outside of my window was of the ducks being chased by the guard to stay in the backyard; the huge guard dogs were getting feisty and barking and drooling, and Ben decided his nap was over and came out crying in his undies. Typical day at the office right? This is Africa. :)

As much as it's crazy, I kinda really like it. I like the idea that I can help contribute to the success of this company to help out Ghanaian women. I enjoy working with the volunteers and staff here at the house. I strangely love the culture here and am excited to get to know the locals better. Cold showers are oddly refreshing in this heat though we don't get them often. Just finished up my second one of the trip. Don't do the math or else you won't talk to me again but that's how life is here. And it's just fine! I can't say I wouldn't go for some Chickfila and a hair straightener right now but it's only a few days in and I'm actually excited to live this new life for a while. I feel it's only preparing me for next summer's move to Zambia though it's hard not to compare Ghana to Zambia all the time. Just for the record, my heart is still with my first love and I can't imagine living anywhere in Africa except Lusaka. Don't tell Accra though.

Getting into this groove of work and lots of rest will take adjustment. Just as the extreme spice, suffocating humidity, constant pounding of Ghanaian pop from next door and strange interruptions will. But I can't help but be reminded of 1 Corinthians 10:31: "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." He's purposed this moment, this frustration or this laughter for His glory. It's up to me to give credit where it's due.

Kinda off topic... I've been emailing/texting Elina, a widow from Ng'ombe who we met last summer who ran the Deborah Orphanage, about updated plans for Clothed in Hope and seeking her advice on it. She's such a blessing to the children there as she really lives out the Gospel in her everyday life, giving it all though she has next to nothing. Her heart is incredibly inspiring and she's one of the most beautiful people I've ever met. She radiates grace and gentleness and I just really wish you could meet her. Anyways, I asked what I could be praying about for her life. Rather than asking for provision or blessing or safety for her and the kids, she sends me this today, "My prayer request is that we should find women who are strong, committed and faithful." Nearly brought me to tears through her incredible selflessness, petitioning and believing God for great things through Clothed in Hope. Please join us in praying for women to feel the tug of God's plan on their hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment